Earl Grey Tea – History, Benefits, Recipes, and More!
Earl Grey is a popular tea that has quite a history! It is also known for its benefits and some mild side effects. In recent years, people from all over the globe are trying new recipes to make this tea interesting and more refreshing. This post will take a closer look at all of the aforementioned aspects.
What is Earl Grey Tea?
Earl Grey tea or simply known as earl grey is a caffeinated tea that has a citrus taste thanks to the addition of bergamot oil.
What is the history of Earl Grey Tea?
Earl grey is also often called as bergamot tea since oil of bergamot for tea flavoring is a common practice. It is also often called citrus bergamot tea as it has a citrus flavor profile thanks to the addition of bergamot oil, as mentioned earlier! The tea is presumably named after Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey. He was a British Prime Minister way back in the 1830s. He was also the author of the Reform Bill of 1832. The first documented advertisements for Earl Grey tea was published by Charlton & Co. in the 1880s. It was an advertising firm located in London’s Jermyn Street. Russian earl grey is a popular variation of the traditional earl grey. It is a blend made of orange pekoe tea grown in Sri Lanka and China. The leaves, after processing are scented using oils from natural ingredients like –
- Dried orange peel
- Cornflower petals, etc.
One of the most popular brands for the tea that is also hailed as the manufacturers of the best earl grey tea is Twinings Earl Grey! The company also introduced earl grey green tea for those who wanted to have a cup of goodness minus the excess caffeine content of a classic cup of grey! As per a survey conducted in 2010 a significant part of people residing in the UK consider the habit of having a cup of earl grey as ‘posh’!(Reference - Earl Grey tea, Wikipedia, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
What are the benefits of Earl Grey Tea?
A cup of Earl Grey tea or stylishly earl grey has lots of benefits to offer. Some of the most noteworthy ones are mentioned below -
- It is good for your teeth as it contains catechin. It is an antioxidant that keeps oral problems at bay! Furthermore, it is also packed with fluoride which is known to keep teeth from sustaining damage in the form of cavities. (Reference - 10 Surprising Benefits Of Earl Grey Tea, The Country House, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
- Earl Grey tea boosts the digestion rate and helps a person to get relief from issues like nausea and colic! It is also a great natural solution to intestinal problems like worms.
- A cup of Earl Grey is packed with antioxidants that keep free radical damage at bay thus keeping the person from getting diagnosed with terminal illnesses like cancer!
- According to a study published way back in 2012 in Preventative Medicine, people who drank at least three cups of Earl Grey reduced their chances of contracting heart disease! As it turns out, three cups of earl grey a day keeps ‘bad cholesterol’ away.
What does Earl Grey Tea taste like?
What are the side effects of Earl Grey Tea?
Earl grey tea has some mild side effects. Some of them are as follows -
- Excessive consumption of earl grey tea, according to several studies, could lead to redness of the skin after the person is exposed to UV light.
- Excessive consumption of earl grey could render certain pharmaceutical drugs redundant. Reference (Earl Grey tea, Wikipedia, retrieved on 30 July 2020)
- Excessive consumption of earl grey, according to one study, proved that a person could suffer from muscle cramps. Bergamot oil is rich in a compound called bergapten which is a potassium channel blocker, so drinking earl grey tea in limited amounts is the way of the wise!
What are the different types of recipes for Earl Grey Tea?
Here is a rundown of some of the quirkiest and tastiest earl grey tea recipes that one should try.
1. Earl Grey Iced Tea with Cream
- Two Earl Grey Teabags
- A cup of water
- Honey – as per your preference.
- Crushed ice or ice cubes – as per your preference.
- 1/3rd of a cup of heavy cream. (Reference - Earl Grey Iced Tea with Clouds of Cream, Equal Exchange Retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
- Brew the tea for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bags as soon as the time is up!
- Add one to two teaspoons of honey.
- Cool the tea in a refrigerator.
- Beat the cream using a whisker and do it till the cream thickens!
- Pour the tea in a tall glass filled with crushed ice or ice cubes. Leave some room at the top of the glass.
- Add the cream on top of the glass and enjoy!
2. Earl Grey Iced Tea
- An Earl Grey
- A teaspoon of honey.
- A tablespoon of orange juice – (fresh pressed).
- Some ice cubes.
- A slice of orange.
- Some mint leaves.
- Brew a cup of Earl Grey using the tea bag and let it steep for about 5 minutes. Reference (Earl Grey Iced Tea, Dragonfly Tea, retrieved on 30 July 2020)
- Let the tea cool to room temperature then place the cup inside a freezer for a day!
- Add the honey, orange juice into a glass. Stir well to let the honey dissolve into the juice.
- Add the ice cubes and then fill the glass with the chilled Grey tea!
- Add mint leaves and a slice of orange as garnishing for your glass and then serve.
3. Earl Grey Iced Tea with a twist of lemon
- Two earl grey tea
- Two lemon slices.
- About 250 ml of water.
- Mint – as an optional garnishing for your tall glass. Reference (Lemon Earl Grey Iced Tea, Feed Your Soul, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
- Add the ingredients into a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over high heat and let the mixture boil. As soon as it starts boiling, turn off the heat and let the tea leaves infuse for about an hour.
- After an hour, strain the mixture and serve it in a tall glass covered with ice cubes. In case you made extra, you can store the drink in a glass jar and keep in your refrigerator for up to three days.
What is the recipe for a cup of classic Earl Grey Tea?
- Earl Grey tea – loose or a single tea bag would suffice!
- Filtered water.
- A saucepan. (Reference How to Make Earl Grey Tea Properly, Oh How Civilized, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
- Boil a cup of water in the saucepan.
- Put about one and a half teaspoons full of Earl Grey tea in the teapot and then add the boiling water into the same!
- Cover the teapot and let the mixture inside it steep for about five minutes.
- You can add lemon and honey. Avoid adding sugar and milk at these ingredients could alter the classic taste of the tea.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much Earl Grey Tea should you drink? Yes, you can drink earl grey tea every day given you stick to three cups containing not more than 60 ml of the liquid. Reference (10 Surprising Benefits Of Earl Grey Tea, The Country House, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
Q. Can you drink Earl Grey Tea every day? Yes, you can drink earl grey tea every day given you are sticking to the limit mentioned in the above section!
Q. Does Earl Grey Tea reduce belly fat? Earl Grey tea promotes weight loss as it is packed with citrus extracts. It is often recommended to add lemon in a cup of earl grey instead of cream and sugar to amplify its effects!(Reference - 10 Surprising Benefits Of Earl Grey Tea, The Country House, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
Q. Can pregnant women have earl grey tea? No, pregnant women should avoid consuming earl grey tea as it contains caffeine. (Reference - Tea During Pregnancy – 6 Pregnancy Safe Teas and Teas To Avoid, bellybelly.com.au, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
Q. Can children have earl grey tea? Children shouldn't be given earl grey tea as it contains caffeine! If given a child may suffer from side effects like trouble sleeping, an increase in urine output, decreased levels of sodium and potassium levels in the blood, and many more. Reference (Herbal Teas for Toddlers: What’s Safe and What’s Not, Healthline, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
Q. Is it okay to add sugar and milk in a cup of earl grey? No, it is not. A cup of earl grey is often sweetened with honey and people rarely use milk as it alters the flavor of the tea. Reference (The Best Teas For Adding Milk and Sugar, The Spruce Eats, retrieved on 09 Feb 2021)
Be sure to seek advice from professionals such as your dietitian or doctor if you witness side effects aster downing a cup of earl grey! We at teacurry.com are mere internet people and not experts hence we might have missed out on some important information in this post. With that stated, if you have any queries, opinions, or want to share your experience with earl grey, be sure to leave them in the comments section below! We love to hear from our readers.
Products related to this read
Disclaimer - TEACURRY is a Digital Publisher and does not offer personal health or medical advice. In case you are facing a medical emergency then call your local emergency services. You should always consult your healthcare provider before initiating any diet, exercise or wellness program.
Please Note - The above content has been developed in association with licensed medical professionals and external healthcare contributors, including text, videos, graphics and images. It is general in nature and is for informational purposes only. Teacurry takes no guarantees about the efficacy or safety of processes, products or treatments described on this content.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Other Interesting Reads and Posts
Find here the list of best Anti Ageing teas for skin glow, prevent acne, remove wrinkles, hair care and premature ageing. This list of top Ageing teas in India as...
Find here an extensive list of best slimming teas or weight loss teas in India as in 2021. This list has been created based on customer reviews, customer testimonials, effectiveness, flavors,...
Find here an extensive list of best Anti Smoking Teas in India as in 2021. This list has been created based on customer reviews, customer testimonials, flavors, taste and price. Teacurry clearly understands how smoking...
Find here 15 healthy green tea recipes - Iced Green Tea, Hot Spiced Green Tea, Matcha Green Tea Latte, Moroccan Mint Tea, Ginger Green Iced Tea, Peach Green Tea Lemonade,...
Long Island Iced Tea has many variations. It is a truly American cocktail that has a rich history, lots of variations, and has a habit of giving its drinkers bad hangovers!...
Sweet tea is one of the most popular iced-tea consumed in the United States and Indonesia. It is always served with ice and comes with additional flavours of lemon, mint,...
Other Wellness and Health Teas
Teacurry 60 Day Anti Ageing Tea helps nourish your skin and hair from environmental damages and helps prevent the signs of premature ageing. Our Anti Ageing tea has more than 4.5 lakh customers using it on a daily basis.
Teacurry Fertility tea for Men is a delicious blend of traditional herbs for men who are facing issues of low production or abnormal hormonal function. Our men fertility tea is the best in the industry with more than 4 lakh customers using it on a daily basis.
This golden colored Tea is full of sweetness and warmth offering ecstasy and Diabetic wellness with each sip. Teacurry Diabetes Tea contains plant compounds that fight cellular damage and reduce inflammation and blood sugar levels.