Turmeric, derived from the roots or rhizomes of Curcuma Longa plant, is known for its medicinal properties since ages. And, this is mainly because of the presence of curcumin polyphenols. Curcumin has a range of health benefits, from preventing the accumulation of body fat to arthritis. (Reference: Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health, NCBI, Retrieved on 1 January 2023). Due to its range of benefits, Turmeric is now gaining worldwide popularity as an ingredient of tea.
Though turmeric tea originated in Japan, people worldwide are going gaga over it. From fighting cancer cells to helping dieters fight obesity. The list of Turmeric tea benefits is a long one.
What is Turmeric Tea?
Turmeric tea or Ukoncha originated in the Okinawa district of southern Japan. Kirin Brand used Turmeric as an ingredient of decomposition drink for the first time in 2007. (Reference: Turmeric tea, Wikipedia, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
Also referred to as Haldi tea, this drink is a favourite among those planning to curb down their body weights. You’d feel surprised to know that Turmeric has been a part of the Asian cuisine since ages; however, it became popular only a few decades back. The best part is that the popularity of turmeric tea is not restricted to its earthy-sweet taste. The antioxidants present in Turmeric tea has multiplied its popularity manifolds.
What are the health benefits of Turmeric Tea?
Being rich in curcumins, turmeric tea has a wide variety of health benefits. Some of the turmeric tea benefits are -
- Weight loss - Turmeric is rich in antioxidants. This reduces the count of fat cells in the body. Moreover, Turmeric tea being rich in Curcumin aids the body to lose excess fat. For this reason, many prefer drinking turmeric tea for weight loss. (Reference: Turmeric Tea For Weight Loss: 4 Ways To Make The Tea Effective To Reduce Your Belly Fat, NDTV, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
- Provides Relief from Cold and Flu - Turmeric tea with ginger, lemon, and honey provides relief from cold and flu-related issues. It also provides relief from throat pain. According to studies, ginger tea being rich in antibiotic ingredients reduces inflammation and boosts the immune system.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties - The presence of a high percentage of Curcumin makes Turmeric tea a great anti-inflammatory drink. Additionally, it helps the body combat According to a study, several patients have succeeded in overcoming osteoporosis by drinking Haldi tea.
- Boosts Immunity - Turmeric tea is antibacterial and antiviral. It boosts the immune system, reducing the chances of cancer.
- Maintains Bowel Movement: Turmeric tea contains Curcumin - an essential compound that helps in maintaining a proper bowel movement. That’s why herbologists often use Turmeric to cure digestive problems and IBS.
- Prevents Neurodegenerative Diseases - Drinking turmeric tea regularly keeps neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s at bay. It also acts as an anti-ageing drink.
- Anti-diabetic Drink - Turmeric tea, if consumed regularly, helps in reducing the chances of Type-2 diabetes. This is because many studies have found Curcumin to be potent against this disorder.
- Reduces Stress: According to studies, drinking turmeric tea provides relief from stress-related disorders like anxiety, depression, etc. (Reference: Nine health benefits of turmeric tea, Medical News Today, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
- Prevents Gastrointestinal Problems: Experts have found drinking Turmeric tea helps the body counter gastrointestinal problems. Patients with Ulcerative colitis have fewer chances for it to relapse if they consume Turmeric regularly.
- Lowers LDL: According to a 2008 Study, Curcumin in Turmeric reduces LDL and cholesterol. So, it helps prevent cardiovascular diseases like stroke, heart attack, etc.
- Prevents Iris Problems: On consuming turmeric tea regularly, the chances of suffering from diseases like corticosteroids and uveitis are reduced considerably. (Reference: 7 Ways Turmeric Tea Benefits Your Health, Healthline, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
- Liver Detoxification - Turmeric tea is one of the potent detox drinks. Regular consumption of Haldi tea helps cleanse the liver and protects it from oxidative problems.
- Anti-acne drink: Turmeric tea is rich in antioxidants. So, it helps in reducing acne and other skin disorders. (Reference: 11 Surprising Benefits Of Turmeric Tea and How To Make It, Style Craze, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
What are the Benefits of Turmeric and Ginger Tea?
Ginger is rich in natural phytonutrients. These phytonutrients not only reduce inflammatory problems but also prevent cancer. That’s why ginger is an excellent addition to turmeric tea. Ginger Turmeric tea also helps boost immunity and prevents inflammation related issues, such as the cold or sore throat. Adding lemon to the ginger turmeric tea is also a great option. This makes the drink rich in Vitamin C. Ginger turmeric tea also provides relief to nausea and vomiting problems. So, people with motion sickness will surely enjoy ginger turmeric tea benefits. (Reference: Turmeric Ginger Tea with Lemon and Honey, Inspire Health, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
Two Simple Turmeric Tea Recipes to Enjoy:
Hot Brewed Turmeric tea:
- Step 1: Put the desired amount of water to boil. It is advised to use clear, filtered water to maintain the overall taste.
- Step 2: Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder or 3 to 4 slices of raw/dried Turmeric.
- Step 3: Let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Step 4: Serve it with lemon juice and honey. (Reference: Turmeric Tea: Amazing Health Benefits You Cannot Afford To Miss; Learn How To Make Turmeric Tea, NDTV, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
Cinnamon Turmeric Iced Tea:
- Step 1: Put 1-2 tsp of preferred tea leaves, 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder and 1/ 4 tsp of cinnamon powder in the French press.
- Step 2: Fill it with hot water to half of its length and let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Step 3: After pressing it, let it cool.
- Step 4: Now, remove the press and serve it with ice cubes and lemon.
Is it Okay to Drink Turmeric Tea at Night?
According to a study, drinking turmeric tea at night helps in weight loss. It also reduces stress and anxiety, resulting in better sleep. People with insomnia or other sleep problems can add Turmeric tea to their bedtime ritual to benefit from it significantly. (Reference: What is The Best Tea for Sleep, Insomnia and Nighttime Anxiety?, Sleep Advisor, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
Is it Good to Drink Turmeric Every Day?
Turmeric tea or Haldi tea is rich in Curcumin. If taken regularly, it can greatly help the digestive system by enhancing the rate of bile production. Several studies have also concluded that it boosts the metabolic rate of the body. So, it’s safe to consume turmeric tea daily. (Reference: Want to lose weight in 1 week? 5 ways drinking Turmeric or Haldi chai can flatten your tummy, Times Now News, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
What Are The Side Effects of Turmeric?
Though Turmeric has a long list of benefits, it has a few side effects. Here are some of the possible side effects -
- Though Turmeric is good for the digestive system, some people might face cramps or stomach aches.
- Oxalates present in Turmeric might react with calcium, leading to kidney stones.
- If someone is allergic to Turmeric, she/ he may suffer from problems like rashes, skin inflammation, or even lack of breath. It can happen from both skin contact and ingestion of Turmeric.
- Excess consumption of Turmeric may lead to iron deficiency in the body. According to studies, Turmeric in excess inhibits the absorption of iron. (Reference: 5 Side-Effects of Turmeric (Haldi): How Much Is Too Much?, Food NDTV, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
Is Turmeric Tea good for weight loss?
Yes, turmeric tea helps in weight loss. Here's how adding turmeric tea to the regular diet can help -
- Turmeric contains the chemical Curcumin in a high amount. Curcumin is a natural fat blocker that stops the fat cells in the body from multiplying. So, it keeps body weight in check.
- Turmeric is also good for digestion. An improper digestive system won’t allow you to absorb the nutrients properly or eliminate the waste. This results in weight gain. (Reference: Unable To Lose Weight? Your Poor Digestion May Be At Fault, NDTV Food, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
- Lack of sleep is a major reason for weight gain. Having a cup of turmeric tea before bedtime can help improve the quality of sleep. Thus, it will prevent our body from gaining unwanted weight.
Judging by its benefits, Turmeric tea is safe to include in a regular diet. Its rising popularity and several health benefits, it is assured that the drink is here to stay. Anyone having sleep problems or trying to lose weight will see improvement by adding this super drink to their regular diet.
Frequently Asked Questions related to Turmeric Tea
- Can Turmeric be Used in Tea? Yes, Turmeric can be consumed in the form of tea. Turmeric tea is a healthy drink with a unique but subtle taste.
- What is the Best Time to Drink Turmeric Tea? There is no fixed timing for enjoying Turmeric tea or Haldi tea. However, its benefits can be reaped the most if consumed in the mornings to improve digestion.
- How much Turmeric Tea Should you Drink in a Day? 1 to 3 cups of turmeric tea is safe to consume in a day. However, you should consult a physician to know about the quantity of turmeric powder or roots you should consume.
- Does Turmeric Tea Make you Sleepy? According to studies, it helps reduce stress levels. So drinking turmeric tea before bedtime can be an excellent way to induce sleep.
- Who You Should not Take Turmeric? People consuming blood-thinning medicine should try to avoid taking Turmeric in large quantities.
Teacurry.com hopes that you thoroughly enjoyed the above research we have tried to put together in terms of Turmeric tea and its benefits. In case of questions or suggestions please let us know in comments below or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be more than happy to assist you.