Mushroom Tea – History, Benefits, Recipes and more
Mushrooms are edible fungi that have tons of benefits, awesome culinary properties, and a huge fan-following from countries all over the globe! You will seldom find someone who doesn’t love mushrooms! Mushroom tea is rich in vitamin B and mineral nutrients like selenium, copper, and potassium. It is categorized as a superfood that is gaining a lot of traction since it can increase stamina and bone strength in the human body. It is also packed with antioxidants that allow a person drinking mushroom tea to give their immune system a boost with each sip! It is no news why mushroom tea is so popular these days.
This post will take a quick look into anything and everything related to mushroom tea. Let’s begin!
What is Mushroom Tea?
What is the history of Mushroom Tea?
Tea made from ‘Chaga’ or ‘mushroom’ has been prepared and consumed by native Russians and Scandinavians residing near the Ural Mountains, since time immemorial. In the 12th century, Tsar Valdimir Monomakh, who was the Grand Prince of Kievan Rus, popularized mushroom tea, after he started consuming this drink regularly in hopes to cure his lip cancer! (Reference – The history and health benefits of Chaga mushroom tea, Ethno Herbalist, retrieved on 15 July 2020) The folk medicinal texts found in Northern Europe and Russia, written in the late 16th and 17th centuries, mainstreamed the healing properties of mushroom tea. In these texts, mushroom tea was hailed as an all-in-one cure to treat issues like -
- Ulcers and
- Even tuberculosis
Again in the 1950s, a famed Russian Nobel laureate and author Alexander Solzhenitsyn wrote a novel, ‘Cancer Ward’. Here he highlighted the healing properties of mushroom tea. So, it is fair to state that mushroom-infused tea has quite a rich history!
What are the benefits of Mushroom Tea?
Benefits of mushroom tea are as follows -
- It is jam-packed with antioxidants.
- It is capable of regulating hormones.
- It breaks down stress-hormone cortisol thus relieving stress in an individual.
- It may or may not keep cancerous cells under check – more research into this matter is necessary.
- It boosts the immune system.
- It keeps chronic inflammation under check.
- It also can regulate blood sugar and cholesterol levels (Reference - Why Are People Sipping Mushroom Tea?, Well and Good, Retrieved on 15 July 2020)
What does Mushroom Tea tastes like?
Well, Chaga, reishi, maitake, and cordyceps mushroom tea tastes bitter. Lion’s mane mushroom tea, on the other hand, tastes more or less like lobster soup. (Reference – There’s not enough evidence that mushroom tea is magic, The Washington Post, Retrieved on July 15 2020)
What are the side effects of Mushroom Tea?
Mushroom tea has the following side effects -
- When consumed in excess amounts, tea made from the Chaga mushroom could damage one’s kidneys.
- Furthermore, tea made from any variant of mushrooms, when consumed excessively could react with prescription drugs, health supplements, and even some herbal medication thus leading to adverse side effects – so consuming mushroom tea in limited quantities is the way of the wise. (Reference - What Is Mushroom Tea? Know The Benefits, Doctor NDTV, Retrieved on 15 July 2020)
What are the different types of Mushroom Tea?
1. Simple Chaga Mushroom Tea
To prepare the simple Chaga Mushroom tea, you need the below set of ingredients -
- 0.35 ounces of Chaga chunks
- Hot water
Instructions to prepare Chaga Mushroom Tea -
- Put 500 millilitres of water into a kettle
- Grind the Chaga pieces
- Pour the Chaga powder into the kettle.
- Increase the heat under the kettle and let the mixture inside it boil.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a mug through a strainer after ten minutes and enjoy. (Reference – Mushroom tea – the complete guide, Chaga HQ, retrieved on 15 July 2020)
2. Reishi Peppermint and Honey Tea
To prepare the Reishi (also known as Ganoderma lucidum and lingzhi) Peppermint and Honey Tea, you need the below set of ingredients -
- 9 Reishi mushroom pieces
- 8 mint leaves (fresh and crushed)
- 2 spoonfuls honey
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- Hot water
Instructions to prepare Reishi Peppermint and Honey tea -
- Heat water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Place the mushroom pieces inside the pot and let it simmer for half an hour.
- Add honey, peppermint oil, and mint leaves while stirring slowly. Remember to bring the heat down.
- Strain in a mug and enjoy.
How To Make Reishi Mushroom Tea (Ling Chi, Ling Zhi), Wendi Phan, Online Video Clip, YouTube, Uploaded on 5 January 2015, Retrieved 19 July 2020. Licensed under CC BY 2.0
3. Cordyceps Ginger Tea
To prepare the Cordyceps Ginger Tea, you need the below set of ingredients -
- 0.25 ounces of Cordyceps pieces
- Lemon juice
- Fresh ginger (4 slices)
- Hot water
Instructions to prepare Cordyceps Ginger Tea -
- Boil the water in a kettle then add the Cordyceps mushroom pieces. Let the mixture boil for about ten minutes.
- Reduce heat.
- Add lemon juice and ginger slices.
- Stir the mixture and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and enjoy.
4. Lion’s Mane Brain Boost Tea
To prepare the Lion's Mane Brain Boost Tea, you need the below set of ingredients -
- 11 ounces of Lion’s Mane mushroom. You can also use the same quantity of lion’s mane mushroom extract powder!
- A very small piece of shilajit
- Hot water
Instructions to prepare Lion's Mane Brain Boost Tea -
- Pour 500 millilitres of water in a kettle.
- Place the mushroom extract in a tea infuser.
- Place the infuser into a mug.
- When the water reaches a boil, remove it from the heat source and pour the same into the mug.
- Add the small piece of shilajit and let the mixture sit for about ten minutes. This should be enough time for the piece of shilajit to fully dissolve in the tea.
- Take the infuser out and enjoy your cup of lion’s mane mushroom tea.
5. Maitake Green Tea
To prepare the Maitake Green Tea, you need the below set of ingredients -
- 0.35 ounces of Maitake pieces
- A half split vanilla bean
- 1 spoonful of loose green tea
- Hot water
Instructions to prepare Maitake Green Tea -
- Boil the water in a pot
- Add the Maitake mushroom pieces and let the mixture boil for about ten minutes.
- Turn down the heat
- Add vanilla bean and the green tea
- Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and enjoy!
What is the recipe for Mushroom Tea?
Simple mushroom tea is made using the following easy to remember recipe –
- Crush or chop dried pieces of mushrooms.
- A cup of water is enough to serve an adult. One should use not more than 5 grams of mushroom powder of pieces to make a cup of tea.
- Boil water and pour the mushroom pieces or powder.
- Reduce heat and let the mixture simmer for around 10 minutes
- Strain the mixture and pour into a cup and have a sip. (Reference – Mushroom Tea Preparation, The Vaults of Erowid, retrieved on 15 July 2020)
How much Mushroom Tea should you drink?
Exact or rather safe dosage of mushroom tea is unknown. This is the reason why pregnant women need to refrain from drinking this. One should also stop consuming mushroom tea if they experience any form of side effects. For the best results, one should discuss with a nutritionist or doctor before they prepare their first cup. (Reference: Will Drinking Mushroom Tea Make You Healthier, Everyday Health, Retrieved on 15 July 2020)
Can you drink Mushroom Tea every day?
A cup per day made from around 5 grams of dried mushroom pieces should be enough to get maximum benefits minus side effects. (Reference – Mushroom Tea Preparation, The Vaults of Erowid, Retrieved on 15 July 2020)
Does Mushroom Tea reduce belly fat?
As per the findings by experts at the Department of Exercise and Nutrition Science at the University of Buffalo, mushroom tea can control blood sugar levels, thus allowing individuals to exercise longer at gyms. (Reference - Mushrooms Are Magic for Women Trying to Lose Weight, The daily beast, retrieved on 15 July 2020) This is great news for people who are willing to lose belly fat – isn’t it!?
How to Make Psilocybin Mushroom Tea?
There are two ways to prepare psilocybin mushroom tea. They are as follows –
- Preparation using hot water – here boiling water needs to be run through the mushroom pieces. This is a great way to make psilocybin-infused tea as psilocybin is water-soluble and the solubility rate of the compound accelerates when it is subjected to hot water.
- Preparation using lemon juice – heat the lemon juice but don’t let it boil. Grind the mushroom pieces and let them soak in the warm lemon juice. Leave it for 20 minutes and then strain the mixture, pour it in a cup, and add honey to enhance the taste. Avoid adding refined sugar or artificial sweeteners. (Reference – Here's How to Make Delicious Magic Mushroom Tea, Merry Jane, retrieved on 15 July 2020)
What are the benefits of Psilocybin Mushroom Tea?
- It improves the quality of life in cancer patients – as per the findings of studies conducted at Johns Hopkins Hospital, USA, way back in 2016.
- Furthermore, mushroom tea can keep anxiety and depression at bay as well. (Reference - Mushrooms as Medicine? Psychedelics May Be Next Breakthrough Treatment, Healthline, Retrieved on 15 July 2020)
- Magic mushroom tea also assists people to quit their substance (cocaine and alcohol, to be precise) abuse habits.
What are the benefits of Reishi mushroom tea?
Reishi mushroom tea (also known as Ganoderma lucidum and lingzhi) benefits are as follows -
- Reishi mushroom tea boosts the immune system by many folds!
- It can keep cancerous cells under check – although more research and proof is needed to back this claim!
- It is a great solution for depression and lethargy. (Reference – 6 Benefits of Reishi Mushroom (Plus Side Effects and Dosage), Healthline, retrieved on 15 July 2020)
How to make Reishi mushroom tea?
To prepare the Reishi mushroom tea (also known as Ganoderma lucidum and lingzhi tea), you need the below set of ingredients -
- Dried reishi mushroom pieces and
Instructions to prepare Reishi mushroom tea -
- Boil the water in a ceramic or stainless steel pot.
- Add the pieces of dried reishi mushroom.
- Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for about 2 hours – yes your read that right!
- Remove the pot from the heat source, strain the mixture, and keep it aside.
- Add honey as a natural sweetener since the tea tastes nasty without it. (Reference - Reishi Mushroom Tea Recipe, Mushroom Appreciation, retrieved on 15 July 2020)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is mushroom tea addictive? Tea made from psilocybin mushrooms is psychoactive hence if consumed in huge amounts and regularly, one can become addicted to it. (Reference – Psilocybin Mushrooms Addiction Abuse and Treatment, Addiction Center, Retrieved on 15 July 2020)
- Can you add spices with mushroom tea? Sure you can! You can mix –
- Ginger with your cup of mushroom tea and alter the taste and texture of the drink to suit your preferences. (Reference – Great flavours mix Chaga mushroom tea, Chaga Natural, Retrieved on 15 July 2020)
- Should you drink mushroom tea hot or cold? It is best to drink hot mushroom tea as hot liquids get quickly absorbed in the stomach lining of an individual thus ensuring the positive effects kick in quickly. (Reference: Shroom Tea - cold or warm?, Reddit, Retrieved on 15 July 2020)
Mushrooms have been the part of human culture since time immemorial. It has been the part of experiments conducted by culinary geniuses from all over the globe. Furthermore, variations of edible mushrooms are also used by thrill-seekers to get high! We at Teacurry.com do not promote such behaviour but we are strong promoters of tea! Mushroom tea has lots of benefits, as it is evident by now. With that stated, it does come with some mild side-effects though! So, if you experience some of them, be sure to halt the intake of the tea for some time. With that stated, be sure to leave your experiences about mushroom tea, opinions, and suggestions related to this post in the comments section below.
Products related to this read
Disclaimer - TEACURRY is a Digital Publisher and does not offer personal health or medical advice. In case you are facing a medical emergency then call your local emergency services. You should always consult your healthcare provider before initiating any diet, exercise or wellness program.
Please Note - The above content has been developed in association with licensed medical professionals and external healthcare contributors, including text, videos, graphics and images. It is general in nature and is for informational purposes only. Teacurry takes no guarantees about the efficacy or safety of processes, products or treatments described on this content.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Other Interesting Reads and Posts
Find here the list of best Anti Ageing teas for skin glow, prevent acne, remove wrinkles, hair care and premature ageing. This list of top Ageing teas in India as...
Find here an extensive list of best slimming teas or weight loss teas in India as in 2021. This list has been created based on customer reviews, customer testimonials, effectiveness, flavors,...
Find here an extensive list of best Anti Smoking Teas in India as in 2021. This list has been created based on customer reviews, customer testimonials, flavors, taste and price. Teacurry clearly understands how smoking...
Find here 15 healthy green tea recipes - Iced Green Tea, Hot Spiced Green Tea, Matcha Green Tea Latte, Moroccan Mint Tea, Ginger Green Iced Tea, Peach Green Tea Lemonade,...
Long Island Iced Tea has many variations. It is a truly American cocktail that has a rich history, lots of variations, and has a habit of giving its drinkers bad hangovers!...
Sweet tea is one of the most popular iced-tea consumed in the United States and Indonesia. It is always served with ice and comes with additional flavours of lemon, mint,...
Other Wellness and Health Teas
Teacurry 60 Day Anti Ageing Tea helps nourish your skin and hair from environmental damages and helps prevent the signs of premature ageing. Our Anti Ageing tea has more than 4.5 lakh customers using it on a daily basis.
Teacurry Fertility tea for Men is a delicious blend of traditional herbs for men who are facing issues of low production or abnormal hormonal function. Our men fertility tea is the best in the industry with more than 4 lakh customers using it on a daily basis.
This golden colored Tea is full of sweetness and warmth offering ecstasy and Diabetic wellness with each sip. Teacurry Diabetes Tea contains plant compounds that fight cellular damage and reduce inflammation and blood sugar levels.