Peppermint herb is quite popular and has been used globally since time immemorial. It is the hybrid offspring of spearmint and water mint. It is native to Asian and European nations and in recent years, it is being grown extensively all over the globe! It is used to manufacture candies, breath mints, ice cream, shampoos, skin care products, chewing gum, and toothpaste. It is also used as a flavoring agent in baked items as well. (Reference: Peppermint, Wikipedia, retrieved on 1 January 2023) It is also used to prepare tea and the best part, peppermint tea comes with lots of health benefits. This post will shed light on the history of the tea, its benefits, and more. Let’s begin, shall we!?
Table of Content
1. What is Peppermint Tea?
Peppermint tea or better known simply as ‘mint tea’ is a herbal concoction prepared by adding mint leaves into a pot of boiling water. There are several other recipes to prepare mint tea – we will get to that later!(Reference - Korean mint tea, Wikipedia, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
2. What is the history of Peppermint Tea?
Peppermint tea didn’t have any humble origins! It was invented and perfected by the Egyptians, way back in 1,000 BC! Proof!? Well, there are several findings where archaeologists got their hands on dried peppermint leaves in Egyptian pyramids! Green mint tea also found extensive applications and immense popularity among civilizations all over the globe. Londoners got their hands on the herb only after it was cultivated for the first time in the year 1750! By this time, mint tea was gaining a lot of traction all over the globe. For instance, fresh mint tea, in Morocco, is known locally known as Maghrebi. The drink is popular in the nation. It has been adding its freshness to parties and events in the nation for years now! The true origin of the drink in the nation is a story that is filled with a lot of confusion. However, the most accepted version is that a British merchant introduced the herb and the recipe for the drink in the 19th century! (Reference: Mint Tea In Morocco, G Adventures, retrieved on 1 January 2023) Furthermore, peppermint tea is also popular in European nations and for the right reasons. It is considered as an elixir that is often prescribed to individuals with digestive issues.
3. What are the benefits of Peppermint Tea?
- It is a boon for people who suffer from bloating. This is the reason why peppermint tea for gas is often the recommended home remedy for most Americans! (Reference: 20 Peppermint Tea Health Benefits: Tis the Season for Better Sleep!, Simple Loose Leaf, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
- Peppermint tea can alleviate your mood – a claim that is backed by a study conducted with over 180 volunteers. It also increases your energy although it is a non-caffeinated drink!
- It also offers relief to women who suffer from menstrual cramps and side effects of periods like nausea and diarrhea!
- Several studies also back the claim that drinking peppermint tea regularly can help an individual to boost their long term and short term memory.
- By nature, peppermint is a muscle relaxant. This is the reason why, people who drink peppermint tea before bedtime, often have a good night’s sleep! The reason is simple – peppermint reduces the level of cortisol – the stress hormone in an individual’s body. This leaves the person feeling relaxed as their mind calms down.
- Peppermint tea is also a great solution, especially in these trying times to boost your immunity! Yes, you read that right! Fresh mint tea boosts your immune system thus keeping you from contracting illnesses like the common cold!
4. What does Peppermint Tea taste like?
Peppermint tea is packed with menthol. This is the reason why it tastes mildly sweet. Furthermore, it feels cool at the back of your tongue when you take a sip. In the end, it is a very mild and refreshing drink! (Reference: 5 Easy Steps to Make Peppermint Tea Properly, Oh How Civilized, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
5. What are the side effects of Peppermint Tea?
Peppermint tea is safe when consumed in limited amounts by people of all ages. With that stated, if a person often suffers from heartburn then mint tea could trigger this condition! (Reference: Health benefits of peppermint tea, Medical News Today, retrieved on 1 January 2023) Furthermore, people diagnosed with GERD should refrain from drinking peppermint tea altogether!
6. How much Peppermint Tea should you drink?
Well, there isn’t any strict dosage established for a cup of herbal peppermint tea but overdrinking it is indeed a bad thing! This is the reason why one should stick to not more than 2 cups per day.(Reference - 5 Remarkable Health Benefits of Peppermint Tea, Taste of Home, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
7. Can you drink Peppermint Tea every day?
Yes, you can drink peppermint tea regularly given you are limiting yourself to just a single cup or two cups per day! It is caffeine-free, which is why you won’t develop a habit of it but if you drink it in large quantities, you are bound to suffer from a few mild side effects though! (Reference 12 Science-Backed Benefits of Peppermint Tea and Extracts, Healthline, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
8. Does Peppermint Tea reduce belly fat?
Peppermint tea soothes and calms one’s mind thus relieving the same from stress. It is a known fact that excessive stress leads to a situation where the person eats uncontrollably (a phenomenon called stress eating!). Reduced stress means better metabolism thus ensuring that one’s weight loss efforts are delivering positive results. Fresh mint tea is also known for its soothing, fresh yet strong aroma that suppresses one’s hunger pangs, which is great news for someone who is struggling to lose weight. (Reference - How to lose belly fat naturally: 5 herbal teas for detox and weight loss, Times Now News, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
9. Best Peppermint Tea in India as 2023
Hot or cold, pure or blended, nothing can beat a cup of freshly made mint tea. It’s by far one of the most refreshing herbal teas in the world. Drinking mint tea is far more than just a simple pastime – many tea cultures and traditions wouldn’t be the same without it.
9.1 Teacurry- Mint Green Tea
Teacurry Mint Green Tea is a delicious green tea blend consisting of pure mint leaves in form of Mentha Arvensis variety, from farmlands in Punjab and Green tea leaves from Assam. Handpicked from India’s finest gardens and created by our highly skilled master blenders over thousands of cups. It is 100% Natural tea. Developed over thousands of cups and with extensive research, this tea packs the 5000-year-old wisdom of Ayurveda and utilizes a variety of mint leaves and green tea to provide 5 very specific benefits - helps improve digestion, treat bad breath, soothe the stomach, fight flu and reduce fever. Our Mint Green Tea promotes a feeling of fullness and suppresses appetite while giving your body extreme nutrition with vitamins and antioxidants. Teacurry mint green tea improves mental awareness and focus. (Reference: Mint Green Tea - Health Benefits, Nutrition Facts, Web MD, Retrieved on 1 January 2023)
- Manufacturer: Teacurry
- Starting Price: Rs. 399 for 30 Tea Bags Based on Teacurry as of 1 January 2023.
- Taste: Teacurry Mint green tea drink has a fresh, cool flavor having a tingling finish.
- Ingredients: Mint Leaves and Green Tea Leaves.
- Aroma: Mint green tea has a pleasing aroma that invigorates the senses - similar to smell of fresh leaves in the morning.
- Rating: 5.0 /5.0 based on 149 customer reviews on Teacurry as of 1 January 2023.
- 100% Natural: Yes
- Caffeine Free: Yes
- Dietary Plan: Yes diet plan is included.
- improve digestion
- breathing problems
- improves mental awareness
- weight loss
- Link to Shop: Shop on Teacurry
9.2 VAHDAM Organic Spearmint TeaREFRESHINGLY TASTY: This natural Mint Green tea is blend of Spearmint Tea and Peppermint Tea, which makes it very unique taste. While Spearmint gives necessary sweetness, peppermint adds minty after taste. So use this for morning energy boost.
- Manufacturer: Vahdam
- Starting Price: Rs.324.00 for 50 Tea Bags Based on Amazon as of as of 1 January 2023.
- Taste: Mild and light, but amazingly refreshing, with a gentle sweetness and a lingering cooling effect that stays long after the cup is finished
- Ingredients: Spearmint, Peppermint.
- Aroma: Extremely cool, sweet, and menthol aroma with a tinge of earthy herbaceousness
- Rating: 4.3 /5.0 based on 524 customer reviews on Amazon as of as of 1 January 2023.
- 100% Natural: Yes
- Caffeine-free: Yes
- Dietary Plan: Not Included.
- Helps in weight management.
- Improves cognitive function.
- Helps relieve tension headaches
- Link to Shop: Shop on Amazon
Pure Mint Tea, Vahdam, licensed under CC BY 2.0
9.3 The Indian Chai - Organic Peppermint TeaPeppermint tea is a delicious and refreshing way to boost your overall health in a number of ways due to its ability to improve digestion, reduce pain, eliminate inflammation, relax the body and mind, helps with bad breath, aid in weight loss and boost the immune system. Its impact on the digestive system is considerable, and its base element of menthol is perhaps the most valuable part of its organic structure.
- Manufacturer: The Indian Chai
- Starting Price: Rs.325 for 100 Gram Based on Official Website as of 1 January 2023.
- Taste: Cooling, Mint
- Ingredients: Organic Peppermint Leaves.
- Rating: 4.3 /5.0 based on 94 customer reviews on Amazon as of 1 January 2023.
- 100% Natural: Yes
- Caffeine Free: Yes
- Dietary Plan: No diet plan is included.
- BOOSTS IMMUNE SYSTEM.
- RELIEVES STRESS.
- PROMOTES SLEEP.
- Link to Shop: Shop on Amazon
10. Frequently Ask Question
Q. Can pregnant women drink peppermint tea? As per the professionals working at the American Pregnancy Association, it is safe from pregnant mothers to consume peppermint tea, given they are consuming the drink in limited amounts.(Reference - 20 Peppermint Tea Health Benefits: Tis the Season for Better Sleep!, Simple Loose Leaf Tea Company, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
Q. Does peppermint contain caffeine even in trace amounts? No, peppermint tea does not contain caffeine unless you are adding coffee powder or Darjeeling tea leaves into your cup!(Reference - 20 Peppermint Tea Health Benefits: Tis the Season for Better Sleep!, Simple Loose Leaf Tea Company, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
Q. Is it true that peppermint tea can relieve headaches instantly!? Yes, peppermint tea can offer respite to you if you are suffering from headaches. As per the findings from several studies, the effects kick in within minutes but not instantly!(Reference 20 Peppermint Tea Health Benefits: Tis the Season for Better Sleep!, Simple Loose Leaf Tea Company, retrieved on 1 January 2023)
Here at Teacurry.com, we come up with posts that portray all the interesting facts about tea made from various herbs and ways to make them. The health benefits mentioned in the above section, although backed by resources procured from renowned sites, should be taken lightly. For the best results, it is best to get in touch with your doctor or nutritionist, if you want to know more! On that note, feel free to share your thoughts, suggestions, and experiences related to peppermint tea in the comments section below.