Different Types of Tea - Ultimate Guide 2020
Tea is no longer just a drink; rather, it’s an emotion shared across the globe. No matter whether you’re a hardcore tea lover or someone who enjoys a cup of tea occasionally, there’s no denying the fact that tea has its charm.
Green tea and black tea are now household names due to their range of health benefits. The rise in their popularity can be seen, especially among the ones switching to an organic lifestyle. However, the question is whether these are the only two types of tea? Yes, there are other varieties of tea. In this article, we’ll throw light on all major types of tea.
What are the Types of Tea?
Having originated in China, almost all types of tea come from the plant, Camellia Sinensis. Some of the most well-known types of tea are as follows -
1. Green Tea
Among all types of tea, green tea is regarded to be the healthiest. Though still not famous like the black tea, it's enjoying a worry-free journey to the top. Tea lovers globally are joining the bandwagon of green tea because of its health benefits. Being least oxidized and having the highest level of natural polyphenols, green tea helps the body combat a range of ailments. (Reference: What are the health benefits of green tea?, Medical News Today, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
- Where to Get the Best Green Tea? Teacurry is one of the best portals online for purchasing green tea. Green tea available here is best both in terms of quality and affordability.
- What are The Benefits of Green Tea? Green tea is one of the best beverages, in terms of health among all types of tea Some of its noteworthy benefits are as follows -
- Green tea has a maximum amount of catechins, known as epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG). According to experts, these catechins prevent cell damage.
- Green tea being rich in caffeine helps improve the functioning of the brain.
- Drinking green tea also helps in reducing belly fat and counter
- Being rich in antioxidants, this type of tea helps to prevent various types of cancer, such as breast cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer, etc. (Reference: 10 Evidence-Based Benefits of Green Tea, Healthline, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
- What is the Caffeine Level of Green Tea? The caffeine level of green tea per 230ml can range from 30mg to 50mg. (Reference: How Much Caffeine Is in Green Tea?, Healthline, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
2. Black Tea
If you’re looking for different types of tea, then black tea will definitely excite your taste buds. According to experts, it’s the highest processed and oxidized variety among all types of tea. The robust flavour and strong aroma also make it popular among the fanatics.
- Where to Get the Best Black Tea? Teacurry is one of the best sellers of Black tea online because of its wide range and top-notch quality.
- What are the Benefits of Black Tea? Some of the noteworthy health benefits of black tea are as follows -
- Drinking black tea daily is highly beneficial for oral health. According to experts, it prevents the formation of plaque and bacteria growth, thereby helping the body fight tooth decay and cavity.
- Being rich in polyphenols, black tea reduces the chances of cancer growth in the bodies.
- Black tea consists of phytochemicals that help prevent arthritis.
- Consuming Black tea daily reduces the chances of Type 2 Diabetes up to 70%. (Reference: 11 Health Benefits of Black Tea that You Didn’t Know About, Life Hack, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
- What is the Caffeine Level of Black Tea? The caffeine level of Black tea per 230ml can range from 40mg to 50mg.
3. White Tea
Though not so popular as the green tea or black tea, White tea is slowly but steadily becoming popular among tea lovers. Being less oxidized and processed than the other two, it comprises the highest amount of antioxidants. Additionally, this is the youngest among all types of tea, as the buds and leaves are harvested before they mature. So, unlike the other types of tea, white tea has a more delicate taste.
- Where to get the best White Tea? If you’re looking for white tea of the highest quality, then Tea Curry is your ultimate destination!
- What are the Benefits of White Tea? Some of the health benefits of White tea are as follows -
- Due to its minimal processing, white tea has the maximum amount of antioxidants.
- Being rich in polyphenols, white tea helps in fighting the free radicals in our bodies.
- Drinking white tea has been found to be beneficial in preventing heart diseases like stroke and heart attack.
- White tea reduces the level of bad cholesterol in the human body, preventing unwanted weight gain.
- What is the Caffeine Level of White Tea? The caffeine level of Black tea per 230ml can range from 20mg to 30mg.
Video Source: Organic Facts. 5 Surprising Benefits Of White Tea - Organic Facts. Online Video Clip. YouTube. Uploaded on 8 August 2017. Retrieved 27 June 2020. Licensed under CC BY 2.0
4. Oolong Tea
Oolong is a traditional tea having its origins in China. Its oxidation level varies between green and black tea and requires special methods of production, known only to skilled collectors and tea producers. Based on the harvester's preference, the oolong tea may be oxidized from 8% to 80% per cent. This means the taste of oolong tea will vary based on its oxidation level.
- Where to Get the Best Oolong Tea? Teacurry is regarded as the best seller of Oolong tea because of its wide range and top-notch quality.
- What are the Benefits of oolong tea? Some of the health benefits of tea oolong are as follows -
- Oolong tea is potent in reducing weight.
- Consuming Oolong tea daily increases the metabolic rate of the body.
- Consuming oolong tea helps the body combat digestive problems by reducing inflammation.
- Being rich in antioxidants, Oolong tea can help prevent hair fall.
- What is the caffeine level of oolong tea? The caffeine level of Oolong tea per 230ml can range from 30mg to 40mg.
5. Pu'reh Tea
Native to the Yunnan Province in China, Pu-erh tea is the only fermented variety amongst all types of tea. The leaves of Oolong tea are fermented to derive its flavour, and it sold in the shape of cakes.
- Where to Get the Best Pu'erh Tea? Teacurry is the best seller of Pu-erh tea online because of its wide range and top-notch quality.
- Wha are the Benefits of Pu'erh Tea? Some of the health benefits of Pu-erh tea are -
- The probiotics present in Pu-erh tea helps improve blood functioning. It also keeps the blood sugar levels in check.
- By reducing fat accumulation, Pu'erh tea helps the body combat liver ailments.
- Drinking Pu-erh tea decreases the chances of cancer.
- What is the Caffeine Level of Pu'erh Tea? The caffeine level of Pu-erh tea per 230ml can range from 30mg to 40mg.
What type of Tea is the Most Popular?
Amongst all types of tea, Black tea is the most popular variant. It is also the most-consumed type of tea. The Assam, Darjeeling and Ceylon are some of the most well-known black tea types available in the market. These teas are heavily oxidized and brew up strong, bold, and often malty. Black tea variety is further separated into a grading system. For instance, Orange Pekoe (OP) means full-leaf tea, and BOP indicates a broken leaf black tea. In general, the more crushed and broken the leaves are, the stronger will be the brew. Black teas serve as the base of popular scented teas such as Breakfast tea and Earl Grey tea. In China, black tea is referred to as red tea because of the colour of the liquor. (Reference: These Are the World's Five Most Popular Types of Tea, Eater, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
Is Tea with Milk Good for Health?
Though both tea and milk are healthy, there has been no substantial evidence to show that adding milk to tea enhances its benefits. Many of us like sipping on Doodh-wali-chai because of the flavour. Initially, people started adding dairy so as to reduce the bitterness of the tea, however, the addition turned into a habit and ended up becoming an addiction for most. Some experts believe that adding milk to the tea lowers the benefits of the antioxidants. They also believe that casein protein found in milk prevents flavonoids in green, black, and all other types of tea. (Reference: What Are the Benefits of Drinking Tea with Milk?, Healthline, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
Is Tea Better than Coffee?
Though all types of tea contain caffeine similar to coffee, tea is preferred as the caffeine is way less than coffee. Moreover, the caffeine present in tea doesn’t give jitters. Also, tea helps in strengthening the immune system, fighting cancer cells, and reducing body weight. On the other hand, caffeine in coffee can cause anxiety and impaired sleep in sensitive people. Moreover, due to caffeine's effect on your brain, high coffee intake may result in dependence or addiction. Tea is also gentle on the stomach. The acidity of coffee can cause you to overproduce your own digestive acids and create problems such as upset stomach to ulcers. (Reference: Coffee or Tea? An RD Weighs in on Which Is Healthier, Health, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
How do You Know if Tea is of Good Quality?
Here are some ways to know whether the tea is of good quality or not -
- The tea leaves should have a distinct aroma.
- The leaves shouldn’t feel extremely light on hand. On the contrary, it must have some weight. If it’s weightless, it has been over-dried.
- The leaves shouldn’t have small stalks and stems.
- The tea must have a fresh and clear taste after brewing.
Image Source: The Beginner’s Guide to Different Types of Tea and How They Taste, Cup and Leaf, Google Images, licensed under CC BY 2.0
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which Tea is Best for Health? Green tea is regarded to be the healthiest amongst all types of tea. It has been acclaimed for its medicinal powers for a long time.
- Which Tea has the Most Antioxidants? According to some studies, white tea has the highest amount of antioxidants among the different types of tea. (Reference: Tea and Health, The Spruce Eats, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
- Which Tea is Tasty? Black tea is regarded to be the tastiest among all types of tea. This is because black tea is more processed than the other varieties. Also, it has a richer, full-bodied taste. The colour of black tea may range from black to deep red, depending on the level of oxidation.
- Which country drinks the most tea? Besides producing different types of tea, Turkey tops the list of consuming tea the most. (Reference: The Countries That Drink the Most Tea, The Atlantic, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
- Which country has the best tea? Morocco is known for its quality of tea. Morrocan tea is also regarded to be the strongest tea due to its unique preparation method. (Reference: The top 10 countries that serve the world's best tea, Traveller, Retrieved on 15 June 2020)
- Is it okay to drink tea every day? All types of tea are famous for various health benefits like fighting cancer, strengthening immunity, and the ability to burn fat. So, drinking a moderate amount of tea daily can help our bodies stay healthy.
- How many types of tea are there in India? Indian tea types consist of green tea, Black tea, white tea, and oolong tea. However, the most consumed variety is black tea followed by green tea.
- What is oolong tea used for? Tea Oolong is rich in antioxidants and has a range of health benefits. This includes boosting metabolism, reducing Type 2 diabetes, and preventing various types of cancer.
Teacurry.com hopes that you thoroughly enjoyed the above research we have tried to put together in terms of various types of teas. In case of questions or suggestions please let us know in comments below or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be more than happy to assist you.