How To Make Southern Sweet Tea
Southern Sweet tea is one of the most popular iced-tea consumed in the United States and Indonesia (Reference: Sweet Tea, Wikipedia, Retrieved on 17 April 2020). It is always served with ice and comes with additional flavours of lemon, mint, peach, raspberry. Sweet tea is considered as the regional staple drink of southern United States (Location - the Southern United States, Google Maps, Retrieved on 17 April 2020) and Indonesia (Location - Bali Indonesia, Google Maps, Retrieved on 17 April 2020).
What is Southern Sweet Tea?
In this article, we have tried to answer the following questions.
- Why is Southern Sweet Tea Special?
- What are the ingredients?
- What is the equipment required?
- How to make Southern sweet tea?
- What Factors affect the taste of Southern Sweet Tea?
- What are the Tips & Tricks?
Why is Southern Sweet Tea, special?
The southern states of the United States take pride in their sweet tea which can be sweet or unsweet. It is always served iced and sweet version is preferred way more than the sugarless one. Even now when everyone is flocking for diet conscious recipes, southern sweet tea is the treasured regional recipes and has been passed through generations. Southern sweet tea, being a tradition, has many memories associated with it and those are as sweet as the iced tea drink can get (Reference: How to make Southern-style Sweet Tea, Williams Sonoma, Retrieved on 17 April 2020).
- 10-12 Black tea Bags
- Sugar syrup
- Ice cubes
- Lemon slices and or mint leaves (optional)
- Filtered Water
- Small pan
- Long-handled stirring spoon
- 1-gallon pitcher (Reference - How to Make Southern Tea, The Kitchn, Retrieved on 17 April 2020)
How to make Southern Sweet Tea?
- Fill the water in a kettle or big pan and bring the water to boil
- Remove the water from heat and drop the tea bags into the kettle.
- Allow the tea steep for at least 15-20 minutes
- Pull out the tea bags after pressing them against the kettle wall to drain out the black tea (Reference - Southern Sweet Tea Recipe, Addapinch, Retrieved on 17 April 2020). Put sugar syrup into the tea and mix it well
What are the factors to consider, to make the best Southern Sweet Tea?
Choose the perfect tea
- It is very important to choose the right Black tea for the Southern Sweet Tea. Always prefer the one made specifically for iced tea.
- The brewing technique matters a lot. Adding the tea bags while boiling water is a disaster and can lead to bursting of teabags. Don’t steep the tea bags for more than 15 minutes irrespective of the fact that you might want the tea to be stronger as the chances of tea turning bitter is quite high.
- The iced tea made out of iced tea bags don’t turn cloudy when refrigerated and in case you don't find one, then add baking soda to the hot water to avoid the cloudy look of the Southern Sweet tea (Reference - Southern Sweet Tea, Garden Betty, Retrieved on 17 April 2020).
Choose the right sweetener
The sweetener here doesn’t mean the artificial sweetener but the real deal you want to use to sweeten up your Southern Sweet Tea. Adding sugar to cold water and then expecting it to dissolve well is a disaster. Make a simple syrup by boiling water and sugar for 10-15 minutes. The sugar syrup is faster to dissolve in cold water as compared to powdered sugar.
Use filtered water
Although there is no harm in using the normal drinking water, using filtered water makes Southern Sweet Tea taste better.
Don't mix hot and cold
Let the sweet tea reach room temperature before putting it in the refrigerator. Placing the Southern Sweet tea in the fridge while it’s still warm will make it appear cloudy (Reference - Making the Best Southern Sweet Tea, Southern Kitchen, Retrieved 17 April 2020)
Tips and Tricks
- The Southern Sweet Tea can be refrigerated for almost 1 week. So just assemble big pitchers and pour it in.
- Do not use cold water, use water at room temperature. The ice cubes will do the work of making your tea cold.
- Do not add ice to hot tea, rather pour the tea to the glass of water and ice cubes.
- Never put lemon pieces in the Southern Sweet Tea. Simply squeeze a lemon in the pitcher and throw the lemon layer away. The lemon slices can be kept on the side of the glass.
Teacurry.com hope that you thoroughly enjoyed the above research we have tried to put together in terms of Southern Sweet Tea. In case of questions or suggestions please let us know in comments below or write to us on email@example.com and we would be more than happy to assist you.
This is the best sweet tea ever, thats what my 3 year old said. i used 2 family size tea bags since that what i had. i didnt pour the hot tea into my glass jar, i was afraid it would break. so i boiled 2 cups of water in a large pot, removed from the heat and added the baking soda & tea bags covered and let sit for 15 mins. then i added the sugar and when it was desolved i added the 6 cups of cold water. then i poured it into my glass jug.
I would give this recipe 100 stars if I could!!! I am in love with McDonalds sweet tea. I would go every morning after I dropped the kids off at school and buy 2 large teas with no ice. I would grab a drink here and there!! I would crave it if I didn’t have any left!! Well sorry Mcdonalds!! You have met your match!! I double this recipe and make a gallon of sweet joy!! I love the baking soda trick. It really does keep the tea clear and not bitter. Thank you so much for this recipe!!!
Pouring boiling water into a glass pitcher (even a “heat-proof” one) is a recipe for disaster. The glass will crack/shatter. The best thing to do is to pour it into a plastic container first and then put it in the glass pitcher after it has cooled.
Some of my family members are not sweet tea drinkers, they prefer their iced tea unsweetened so I tried the pinch of baking soda in unsweetened tea and it seemed to be just as effective at smoothing the bitterness and preventing it from getting cloudy. Thanks for the tip!
The baking soda is the key ingredient in this recipe to make a smooth tea. It helps to cut the bitter taste that you can get from tea. It’s really refreshing and for me it has the right amount of sweetness. Thx.
Looking for a specific tea or premix
Premixes related to this read
Disclaimer - TEACURRY is a Digital Publisher and does not offer personal health or medical advice. In case you are facing a medical emergency then call your local emergency services. You should always consult your healthcare provider before initiating any diet, exercise or wellness program.
Please Note - The above content has been developed in association with licensed medical professionals and external healthcare contributors, including text, videos, graphics and images. It is general in nature and is for informational purposes only. Teacurry takes no guarantees about the efficacy or safety of processes, products or treatments described on this content.
Most Viewed Teas
Other Interesting Reads & Posts
Find here the list of best Anti Ageing teas for skin glow, prevent acne, remove wrinkles, hair care and premature ageing. This list of top Ageing teas in India as in 2021 is helps nourish your skin and hair from age effect and environmental damages. Anti Ageing Tea helps nourish your skin and hair from environmental damages and helps prevent the signs of premature ageing. Skincare and hair care usually become the last priority for most women and especially men, but it’s important to note that great skin and hair in your 40s and 50s is always the result of adequate care and attention in your 20s and 30s. Anti Aging Teas are suitable for all age groups and all skin and hair types.
Find here an extensive list of best slimming teas or weight loss teas in India as in 2021. This list has been created based on customer reviews, customer testimonials, effectiveness, flavors, taste and price. Weight loss teas or Slimming Teas usually works on the principle of stimulating the digestive system to rid the body of fat deposits and in turn help with weight reduction. Proper digestion and efficient metabolism leads to decrease in fat deposits from around the body. All slimming teas should at least provide 4 very specific benefits - tummy reduction, enhanced metabolic rate, liver detoxification and fat deposit loss.
Other Wellness and Health Teas
Teacurry 60 Day Anti Ageing Tea helps nourish your skin and hair from environmental damages and helps prevent the signs of premature ageing. Our Anti Ageing tea has more than 4.5 lakh customers using it on a daily basis.
Teacurry Fertility tea for Men is a delicious blend of traditional herbs for men who are facing issues of low production or abnormal hormonal function. Our men fertility tea is the best in the industry with more than 4 lakh customers using it on a daily basis.
This golden colored Tea is full of sweetness and warmth offering ecstasy and Diabetic wellness with each sip. Teacurry Diabetes Tea contains plant compounds that fight cellular damage and reduce inflammation and blood sugar levels.