10 Myths and Facts of Drinking Green Tea
For a tea lover, nothing beats the blue than a cup of tea. Be it in the morning or evening, a cup of tea is the ultimate stress buster. With the world gradually drifting towards adopting a healthy lifestyle, people worldwide are turning to tea, rather than coffee. They favour green tea not only to minimize caffeine intake but also to reap the maximum benefits of green tea. Also, the green tea price is very affordable, with Lipton Green tea being the most preferred brand for its pocket-friendly price. Thus the benefits can be enjoyed without burning a hole through the pocket.
Though all four varieties of tea come from the same plant, Camellia Sinensis, they are differentiated based on oxidization. Green tea is an un-oxidized variant of tea, and it contains a plethora of healthy nutrients. This gives it an edge over the other variants.
Green tea has been able to grab the limelight of health science because of the long list of its benefits. Some of the noteworthy benefits of green tea include detoxifying the skin and fighting cancer cells.
But along with the hype comes a series of green tea myths. This often intrigues people about the health benefits of the drink. So, there is a general misunderstanding about the benefits of green tea concerning whether the benefits of green tea outweigh the side effects.
Let’s throw light into some common green tea myths and facts and try to clear the misconception.
Common Myths and Facts about Drinking Green Tea
Myths are the greatest threat to the road to evolution. Often, green tea lovers feel intrigued due to the myths associated with green tea. This list of 10 green tea myths and facts will help you understand things better.
- Green Tea is the go-to Drink for Weight Loss - This is the most common myth that you’ll come across. No matter how much you drink green tea, you can’t lose weight miraculously. According to a popular green tea myth, it can easily burn excess fats from the body, but that’s not the case. It's essential to maintain to indulge in weight loss programs. Additionally, you won't witness any drastic changes. It'll just act as a catalyst to your weight loss program.
- Green Tea Helps Lower Blood Pressure - Many believe that due to its rich nutrient content, Green tea to a certain extent helps in lowering the systolic and diastolic blood pressure. But, that doesn’t mean you can use it as a medication for curing blood pressure. It can only help keep things in control if consumed regularly in a moderate amount. (Reference: Green tea, RX List, Retrieved on 26 May 2020) Also, the green tea price is very affordable; Lipton Green tea is one of the most preferred brands for its pocket-friendly price.
- Matcha and Green Tea are Different - Though it belongs to the family of green tea, Matcha tea is different from the traditional green tea. It is prepared in the shade, unlike traditional tea. This improves its nutritional values. So, the benefits of Matcha tea are more than the benefits of Green tea. Also, it’s consumed in the form of powder, unlike the whole leaves.
- Green Tea Controls Blood Sugar - One of the benefits of green tea is the presence of catechins and polysaccharides. The catechin, ECGC, helps produce insulin and control the production of glucose in the body. This helps in reducing the blood sugar levels.
- Green tea has caffeine - Though less than coffee, Green tea contains caffeine. But unlike coffee, it doesn’t have severe adverse effects on the body. Additionally, it supplements the body with energy.
- Get rid of those Unwanted Belly Fat Instantly - Yes, unfortunately, this popular green tea myth too, doesn't stand true. You simply can’t expect to continue eating all those sugary treats and expect green tea to work wonders. Also, many prefer drinking sweetened versions of green tea, ignoring that they are still consuming calories in the form of sugar.
- Green tea is ‘the' Metabolism Booster - One popular green tea myth is that it boosts the body’s metabolism rate. Without proper exercise and eating healthy food, it’s not quite possible to witness any positive effect. Drinking green tea will only give the necessary push to exercise or other activities that improve metabolism. (Reference: Green Tea lowers the Blood Sugar Level, Pacific College of Health and Science, Retrieved on 26 May 2020)
- Green Tea has Anti-Aging Properties - Contrary to the Green tea myth, it doesn’t stop someone from ageing. Yes, the antioxidants help in removing free radicals and preventing the cells from damage, but green tea can't stop the human body from ageing. (Reference: These Are Green Tea's Most Exciting Health Benefits according to a Nutritionist, Good House Keeping, Retrieved on 26 May 2020)
- It is Okay to Add Milk with Green Tea - Though milk may enhance the taste of green tea, it is not beneficial. To be honest, adding milk to it nullifies the benefits of green tea. This is because milk has Casein. This protein reduces the effect of antioxidants present in Green tea. (Reference: Common myths around Green Tea, Science Times, Retrieved on 26 May 2020)
- Decaffeinated Green Tea is Caffeine-Free - You’ve seen packets and boxes of green tea with the ‘decaf’ tag in stores. Sounds interesting, right? Tea without caffeine is great, but how true is it? The truth is no matter how much the tea is decaffeinated, it doesn't lose its caffeine completely. Sure, the levels will come down, but there will still be some residue caffeine in it. (Reference: Tea Facts vs Myths, Food Network, Retrieved on 26 May 2020)
It’s essential to know about the Green tea myths and facts before deciding to stock it in huge numbers. Yes, the drink is beneficial in many ways, but due to its popularity, it is very easy to believe a green tea myth. Before you make any decision, please do search a bit on the benefits of Green tea. This way, you'll enjoy the benefits of green tea and be sure of your choices.
Healthy Living Tips. When is the Best Time to Drink Green Tea for Maximum Benefits. Online Video Clip. YouTube. Uploaded on 31 March 2019. Retrieved 1 June 2020. Licensed under CC BY 2.0
How much Green Tea should I drink?
Contrary to the green tea myth, there is no evidence that you'll enjoy the maximum benefits of green tea if you consume more. It is advised to stick to consume 3 to 4 cups maximum in a day to enjoy the maximum benefits of green tea. Else, you may face Green tea side effects. Moreover, the green tea price is very affordable, with Lipton Green tea being very cheap and pocket-friendly.
What are the Benefits of Green Tea for Weight Loss?
Weight loss is one of the most significant benefits of green tea. Here’s a list of its noteworthy benefits -
- One of the significant benefits of green tea is the presence of catechins and EGCGs, when consumed with caffeine in green tea, helps break up the fat cells. Also, it blocks them from proliferation.
- The naturally present caffeine in Green tea provides improves the energy level and metabolic rate of the body. It also gives us the energy to do physical works like exercise. Caffeine also acts as an appetite suppressant. This makes the body feel satiated for a brief period.
What are the Side Effects of Green Tea?
Though the benefits of green tea are more in number, there are a few green tea side effects. Some of the green tea side effects that may happen in a few cases are:
- Drinking green tea in excess quantity may lead to problems like heartburn, stomach-ache and nausea. This is because green tea consists of tannins, which, if consumed in large quantities, leads to an increase in stomach acids.
- Green tea is diuretic, so it causes urination. Excess urination can lead to dehydration. This also results in fatigue and headache. (Reference: Common myths around Green Tea, Science Times, Retrieved on 26 May 2020)
- Sleep deprivation is one of the common green tea side effects. Green tea is rich in caffeine - an energy stimulant. Overdoing Green tea leads to the increase of caffeine and reduces sleep. So, over-consuming may lead to sleep problems like insomnia.
- In some cases, green tea has been found to cause skin problems like allergies, eczema, and this may happen, especially if the person is allergic to any content of the green tea.
All these green tea side effects can be averted when consumed in small to mild quantities. As long as you don’t over-consume it, you can enjoy all the benefits of green tea without worrying about its side effects. (Reference: Common myths around Green Tea, Science Times, Retrieved on 26 May 2020)
Frequently Asked Questions related to Green Tea
- Is Green Tea that Good for You? Evidence shows that green tea catechins may help in reducing heart problems and boost blood flow. There are a wide variety of benefits of green tea that make it a good drink. Some of the benefits of green tea range from fighting cancer cells to reducing blood sugar levels. Also, the green tea price is very affordable; Lipton Green tea is one of the most preferred brands for its pocket-friendly price.
- Can I Drink Green Tea Every day? Yes, you can drink green tea every day. It’s advisable to drink up to 3 to 4 cups daily to enjoy the benefits of green tea.
- What is the Healthiest Green Tea? Matcha tea, a special variety of green tea, is considered to be the healthiest variant to enjoy the benefits of green tea. It’s because Matcha tea has 50% more antioxidants than normal green tea.
- How Does Green Tea Kill Bacteria? According to some studies, the catechins in green tea help reduce the risk of infection by killing various bacteria and viruses.
- When should you Not Drink Green Tea? You can drink green tea anytime. However, it’s not advisable to consume after the meal is not advised, as it may lead to Green tea side effects. Also, it is suggested not to drink it right before sleeping at night for better sleep.
Teacurry.com hopes that you thoroughly enjoyed the above research we have tried to put together in terms of myths and facts of drinking Green Tea. In case of questions or suggestions please let us know in comments below or write at email@example.com and we would be more than happy to assist you.
Products related to this read
Disclaimer - TEACURRY is a Digital Publisher and does not offer personal health or medical advice. In case you are facing a medical emergency then call your local emergency services. You should always consult your healthcare provider before initiating any diet, exercise or wellness program.
Please Note - The above content has been developed in association with licensed medical professionals and external healthcare contributors, including text, videos, graphics and images. It is general in nature and is for informational purposes only. Teacurry takes no guarantees about the efficacy or safety of processes, products or treatments described on this content.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Other Interesting Reads and Posts
Find here the list of best Anti Ageing teas for skin glow, prevent acne, remove wrinkles, hair care and premature ageing. This list of top Ageing teas in India as...
Find here an extensive list of best slimming teas or weight loss teas in India as in 2021. This list has been created based on customer reviews, customer testimonials, effectiveness, flavors,...
Find here an extensive list of best Anti Smoking Teas in India as in 2021. This list has been created based on customer reviews, customer testimonials, flavors, taste and price. Teacurry clearly understands how smoking...
Find here 15 healthy green tea recipes - Iced Green Tea, Hot Spiced Green Tea, Matcha Green Tea Latte, Moroccan Mint Tea, Ginger Green Iced Tea, Peach Green Tea Lemonade,...
Long Island Iced Tea has many variations. It is a truly American cocktail that has a rich history, lots of variations, and has a habit of giving its drinkers bad hangovers!...
Sweet tea is one of the most popular iced-tea consumed in the United States and Indonesia. It is always served with ice and comes with additional flavours of lemon, mint,...
Other Wellness and Health Teas
Teacurry 60 Day Anti Ageing Tea helps nourish your skin and hair from environmental damages and helps prevent the signs of premature ageing. Our Anti Ageing tea has more than 4.5 lakh customers using it on a daily basis.
Teacurry Fertility tea for Men is a delicious blend of traditional herbs for men who are facing issues of low production or abnormal hormonal function. Our men fertility tea is the best in the industry with more than 4 lakh customers using it on a daily basis.
This golden colored Tea is full of sweetness and warmth offering ecstasy and Diabetic wellness with each sip. Teacurry Diabetes Tea contains plant compounds that fight cellular damage and reduce inflammation and blood sugar levels.